Monday, January 31, 2011

LB197 - Will Nebraska Support Breastfeeding?

On January 26th, 2010, NE legislature was introduced to bill LB197 in it's unicameral.  This is the third time that a bill in support of breastfeeding in public has been introduced.  The first two bills were shot down in 2005 and 2009.  This bill simply states, "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breast-feed her child in any public or private location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be."  


I am very proud that something as important as this is being addressed.  I have high hopes that it will finally pass.  One reason is because of the Surgeon General's statement that was released earlier this month urging Americans to be more supportive of breastfeeding.  What an amazing time for breastfeeding moms and those who support breastfeeding!  I can see that we are finally starting to make strides in our attempts to protect the natural way to nurture your child.


Personally, I breastfeed.  I try to support my friends and family who breastfeed.  I also try to support my friends and family who cannot (or choose not) to breastfeed too.  Either way, it is a personal choice that should be supported no matter what your choice is.  I urge everyone to contact their legislators to tell them simply that you are a voter and you support breastfeeding.  All it takes is a simple phone call to leave a message, or even find them on Facebook and send them a message there.  Let our voices be heard!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a note! I love hearing from you!