Saturday, June 29, 2013

Memory Lane

I was sitting at the dinner table with Sweet Pea the other night and somehow got onto the conversation about "Grunge".  She had never heard the word.  She said she knows about "Hippies" and "Hipsters".  So, we started by talking about the obvious...Seattle, plaid shirts, ripped jeans, and music from the '90s.

This is my very long assorted playlist that I need to make for her (okay...more for myself) of my favorites.  Some of them are there because they are mainstream and she might have heard them, and others are there because they are just awesome!  There's bands that you all probably have heard of, along with some lesser known bands.  This is a very eclectic mix of Alternative Music from the '90s, even including some Christian Alternative.  Sorry....there are no big sellouts like "Sugar Ray", "Chumbawumba", "Hootie", "Citizen King", "Dave Matthews", "The Offspring", "Alanis Morissette", or "Rage Against the Machine".  Not to say that they didn't have their place...I just didn't want them on this list.

In no particular order, my 57 artist list: ( Artist - Song  *commentary is preceded by an asterisk.)

Silverchair - Ana's Song
The Murmurs - You Suck  *because angry girl grunge ROCKS!
Spacehog - In the Meantime  *love the lead singer's voice.
Liz Phar - Supernova
DC Talk - Jesus Freak
Joan Osbourne - One of Us
Marcy Playground -   *Any song...I liked it all.
Collective Soul - Run/Shine/The World I Know
CandleBox - Far Behind
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Impression That I Get
Everlast - What It's Like
Rancid - Ruby Soho
Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
R.E.M. - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
LIVE - Run To The Water/Dolphin's Cry/I Alone/Lightening Crashes * I liked almost everything they did.
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight  *I thought Sweet Pea would recognize this one...Otherwise, it wouldn't be on here.
Better Than Ezra - Good
Presidents of The United States of America - Peaches *and many others...I liked them.
Nirvana - *They are a staple....too many songs to list.
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun/Spoon Man
Cake - *again...anything they did, I pretty much liked.
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane/Under The Bridge
Soul Asylum - Blood Into Wine/String of Pearls
Sublime - Santaria
Beck - Loser  (I only liked the early Beck stuff...up until they sold out.)
No Doubt - Just a Girl
Jars of Clay - Flood
Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
Filter - Take a Picture
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush/Big Empty/Interstate Love Song/Trippin On a Hole in a Paper Heart
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight/Today/1979/Disarm  *They were great musicians.
Train - Meet Virginia
Pearl Jam - Even Flow
Bush - Glycerine
The Cranberries - Zombie *I liked all their stuff.
GooGooDolls - Name  *This is the only GGD song that I liked.
Cure - Friday, I'm in Love
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Radiohead - Creep/Karma Police
Temple of The Dog - Hunger Strike
Eve6 - OpenRoad Song
Cracker - Low
Weezer - Sweater Song/Buddy Holly/Say It Ain't So  *okay...pretty much everything they've done.
Lit - My Own Worst Enemy
Days of the New - Touch, Feel, and Stand
Tonic - You Wanted More/If You Could Only See/Lemon Parade
Joydrop - Beautiful
4 Non Blondes - What's Up?
Green Day - Basket Case *Pretty much everything but "Time of Your Life"
U2 - One
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Republica - Ready to Go
Creed - Higher/What's This Life For?/My Own Prison  *Again...pretty much all of it.
Hole - Malibu


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Pepper. I need to break that out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! So...who has better taste in music? The Trophy Wife or the RacDad? Muahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a note! I love hearing from you!